Monday, December 3, 2012

Time To Sleep Workshop

So I went to the workshop last week. They covered causes of sleep issues and 5 different sleep training methods, some of which I had never heard of. We are not to try any of these just yet. For the next two weeks, we are to simply track what happens at bedtime and throughout the night and bring it back for them to analyze. Then we can make a plan.

So far, everything has been going the way it's been for the last few months. He is great until we leave the room, then the crying starts. We've been leaving him for longer and longer hoping he'll fall asleep waiting for us to return. He usually doesn't, at least not until 20 mins after the first 20 min check. So the bedtime routine is still 1-1 1/2 hours long and he still doesn't fall asleep until after 9:30.  Last night he slept through until 5:30. Probably a fluke. I know he wakes up at 5:30 because he wants in bed with us, and we let him. We should probably stop that too, but we're tired and if he sleeps until 5:30 without waking up, we consider that a win. We usually get up between 6 and 6:30 anyway.

So I guess I'll check back next week after we have our second workshop session. Maybe Matthew will be magically sleeping by then, but at the very least, I know we'll have a plan. And if that doesn't work?  I don't want to think about that right now. Let's just hope it works.

1 comment:

  1. Hi there, I thought I would make contact following your sleep workshop article.

    My name is Victoria Ballard and my company is The Victoria Chart Company, please see www.VictoriaChartCompany.com. My reason for contacting you is that we are the creators of the Good Night Sleep Tight Chart - a reward chart to help parents create a healthy bedtime routine.

    It is used to support a lot of children's workshops in the UK (please see our blog: http://www.victoriachartcompany.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/sleep-workshops-prove-huge-hit-with.html). Parents find it a great focal point to work from in the home and as a teacher I am sure you are aware how much children love to know they are doing well.

    I wondered if you would be interested in trialling one of our charts? Perhaps you would be kind enough to show it to your sleep workshop professionals. We'd be delighted to hear from them.

    You can email me on info@victoriachartcompany.com if you would like to discuss this further.

    I look forward to hearing from you.

    Victoria Ballard

    ReplyDelete