Monday, June 28, 2010

Day One Alone: A Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day!

R went back to work today. I was looking forward to my usual night of 3-5 hours between feeds, but Baby K must have known something was up. He was on 1 1/2-3 hours between feeds meaning no sleep for mommy last night. I was hoping his 4 am feed would take him past when R had to leave for work. Well, it did, sort of. He woke up at 7 and then my day of hell started. He was fussy, wouldn't nap, wouldn't be calmed, kept wanting to feed... He would cry, I'd try something, he'd stop, then cry again a few minutes later. Nothing was working and then he started to nod off on my chest. Ah, sweet relief! A nap! Then ... the doorbell rings. To answer, or not to answer. For future reference, the correct answer is DON'T ANSWER! As I walked to the door, child in arms, buttoning up my bra, I thought "this better be someone important". I thought it "could" be my SIL who I would welcome, but was realistically expecting a real estate agent bugging me to sell my house and was preparing myself to tell them to PISS OFF! I did NOT expect the person facing me when I opened the door. It was my BFF's brother! Oh yeah, he got a job here, how nice of him to visit (without a phone call grrrrrr). Well, not quite a friendly meet-the-baby visit. Turns out, he was staying with some family friends and it wasn't working out. He wanted to know if I knew anyone he could stay with. Um ... no !?! I let him (and his pet guinea pig) in and let him use my phone to call people who he thought might let him stay with them. In the meantime, I was trying to feed, calm, soothe, nap, change, and otherwise deal with a fussy, fussy baby. Needless to say, the only food that entered my tummy was a muffin early in the morning. Finally, my BFF's brother worked things out and left, at 1 pm. By that time, both mommy and Baby K were overtired.

After talking to my good friend S online, I decided to try and clean up and take a nice walk to McDonald's. Baby K went into his crib and "seemed" to be sleeping, so I washed my face, brushed my teeth and got dressed. By that time, Baby K was awake and crying again, so I put him in his stroller and off we went on our hot and sticky walk. Baby K immediately fell asleep. Ah, sweet relief! Too bad mommy was hot and tired and started getting a stitch in her side half way there. We finally mad it to a lovely air-conditioned McDonald's and mommy ordered herself a nice cold drink and a hot fudge sundae. Mmmm.... But halfway through the sundae, Baby K was fussing again. Time to move. Again, Baby K slept all the way home. Yay. Maybe now mommy can put him down in his carseat and he'll sleep for a bit? NOPE! Cue more fussing, crying, screaming, oh please daddy get home soon!

Daddy comes home and Baby K is finally calm. We put Matthew down and I tried to take a nap. No go! Time to feed ... again. So daddy makes dinner and mommy gives Baby K his dinner. Mommy got to eat over Baby K and then daddy tried to get him to sleep. It took some doing, but Baby K finally went down for good! Too bad mommy is so overtired she can't sleep. I hope this was just a day one adjustment thing. Maybe Baby K missed having daddy around all day? Maybe mommy just needs to learn how to read him better? I can only hope that Baby K is tired enough tonight to sleep and give mommy a break. Tomorrow is a new day and I'm sure there will be better (and worse) days ahead. I must keep in mind, he is only 2 weeks old. We're both still learning. Things will get better. Breathe in, breathe out!

No comments:

Post a Comment