Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Sleep Training Hell Plus Potty Training = WHAT ON EARTH AM I DOING?

It's been 2 weeks since we implemented the new strategies. Results? Nada! I'm REALLY REALLY hoping it's just because a week of that was spent at Grandma's for Christmas. New surroundings plus excitement of Christmas is not a good combination for sleep training.  Last night was New Year's Eve and we were supposed to go to a friends. However, Roland threw out his back over Christmas and it only got worse once he got home. He ended up on muscle relaxers and anti-inflamatories that conked him out for the entire day. So we cancelled our original plans and went to my sister in law's to hang out with the kids. Matthew partied like a rock star with the big kids all the way past midnight. When we got home I had to rock Matthew a little to get him settled down and then he fell asleep. Then comes the screaming at 2 am. I have no idea what was wrong, I'm guessing a nightmare, but Matthew was screaming and inconsolable standing in the middle of the hall. Some rocking and cuddling and he calmed down and fell back asleep. He woke up crying again at 4 am, then wanted in my bed at 6. I put him back both times, but when he came back at 7 I gave up and let him in my bed. Of course I couldn't sleep at that point and he was awake on and off for a while until he fell asleep and then was wide awake at 8:30. Colour me exhausted.

On top of all this, I had decided months ago that Christmas Break would be my chance to start potty training. I've spent months pumping myself up for this, so when I got a hold of the 3 Day Potty Training book I decided New Year's Day was my chance. I'd have 3 days solid to do the training, and then another 3 days before he has to go back to daycare. Lots of time right? This morning I was really doubting my decision to start potty training now. I'm sooooo tired and Roland isn't very helpful right now.  But I started anyway.

First things first, I got dressed and ready, then got Matthew changed and into a new shirt and diaper. Then we threw all of his diapers away. Matthew was really excited to throw out his diapers. Then I got towels, rolled up the area rug and put Matthew's potty in the downstairs bathroom. Now it was time to get Matthew in his big boy underwear and show him where the potty was. So we through out his diaper and put on the underwear and I got his breakfast ready. Shortly after breakfast I hear "Mama, me made poo poo". Ok, here we go. I rushed him to the potty and when I tried to take his underwear off, Matthew cried. He really didn't like the idea of having to put his poop in the potty. By the time I struggled with him to get his underwear off, his poop was on the floor. Ok, no big deal. I put the poo in the toilet and wiped his bum, which he really didn't seem to like. It took a bit of doing to get it all cleaned up, but we put on a new pair of underwear and put the dirty ones in a plastic bag.  Not 5 mins later as I was fixing his truck, he pees all over the floor. Ok, rush to the bathroom, sit on the potty. He doesn't have any more pee, so we clean up and put new underwear on.

I keep reminding Matthew to let me know if he has to pee and then I start checking to see if he's dry. I gave him 3 stickers in 15 minutes for having a dry diaper. Hopefully this will help. It's been a few hours since his last accident and I'm just waiting for the next one. He doesn't seem to want to drink so I have to start pushing that so he has to pee again. He's getting tired, so we might have to have a potty break before nap very soon.

I probably shouldn't be potty training and sleep training at the same time, but we've been sleep training for 2 years so really, what's the difference. And there's no end in sight to the sleep training, so I might as well get something accomplished while I have the chance. Am I crazy? Probably. And I'll probably be slightly more crazy by the end of these three days. Oh help me.

Update 1:
I caught one pee mid-pee and he got a sticker and some M&Ms for peeing on the potty. He also stayed dry through his nap, so that's another sticker and some M&Ms. He seemed very excited when HE noticed he was dry. Fingers crossed for the rest of the day.

Whelp. That didn't last long. We had another accident and Roland was a little slow in catching it so we didn't end up with any pee on the potty. Le sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment